Monday, June 26, 2006

Daily life...

It is difficult being so far from friends. Silver is so far away & Hawke as well. When things go awry for any of us or between us it would just be so good to be able to call around & see them, deal with things face to face; somehow things seem better that way.

The internet is a great thing, making the world smaller & making it possible for me to know them at all, but it is a long way from a physical relationship. This was driven home to me when I read a thread on WF about what happens if a member dies; would other members ever know or would they just pass into the distance, unremarked & unremembered. Some of the posters talk about having a list of sites for their family or friends to contact so as to let the other members know what had happened. This brought the realisation that should I die, there is nobody I can leave a note for. About the best I could hope for is a cop when they came to cart me away might find a note & bother to log in.

I think about the best I could do is make out a will & give details for the lawyer to contact Silver or Hawke so they could pass on the information.

It is hard to recall the last time I was touched in a personal way (apart from things like handshakes on intro to people) or when someone came to visit. And yet I am a friendly person - I don't readily abuse people, I think of their comfort & ask after their health - yet somehow people seem to stand off from me. Maybe I smell? *grins*

I even have evidence of the effect - a couple of years ago I went around the world & often had long & involved convos with people in a lot of countries, but in 4 months of travel, not one of those conversations were started by other people. Every time I had to break the ice; once done, the convos were friendly & lively & we had a good time, but not once was I approached first.

I have noticed the effect in bars - I can walk in, stand at a crowded bar & have a drink, and within 15 minutes I will have a space on either side of me at least 2 people wide. Not every time but often enough that it is noticeable. In places where I was a regular I have drawn the attention of the bar staff to it & they can't understand it either.

If I break the ice with anyone, it doesn't happen but if I don't talk, somehow, even when they are a couple of rows deep at other parts of the bar, I will have a space. Very occasionally someone wills tep into the space to order & then move back to their table but nobody stays unless I first talk to them.

Strange stuff. I wish I could see auras - mine must be a doozy!

2 comments:

Hawke said...

Well, a good deodorant does go a long way...

Just kidding. Sheesh.

I have no idea why that happens either, my friend. Other than people in general seem to be islands unto themselves. It's kind of sad, really. They are the ones who are missing out.

Chin up. We like you. :) And really, we're the only ones who count. lol ahem.

*hugs*
~me - who counts.
Kinda.

Anonymous said...

I can do that too :) Though I don't make a habit of hanging out at bars.

Want to buy me a strawberry daquiri, sexy?